exploreHD 3.0 camera unable to record continuous video

Hello!

I’m trying to record a 5-second video with the exploreHD 3.0 camera using the following ffmpeg command:

ffmpeg -f v4l2 -i  /dev/video2 -t 5 "$FULL_PATH"

Executing this code, I can record a video at 30 fps and 1080p.

However, there are some problems with the video:

1. There is significant latency from when the command is executed in the terminal to when the camera actually starts recording
  2. There seems to be plenty of ‘segmentation’ in the recorded video, i.e. the video is not a continuous 5-second video but segments of shorter videos
  3. The videos are always less than 5 seconds long despite being specified in the command above.

For context, I am interfacing the camera with a Raspberry Pi 3B+. I had earlier experimented with a webcam using the same command and it seemed to work without any segmentation.

What could be some sources of error here?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hello,

The issue you’ve described is more aligned with FFMpeg’s functionalities rather than our camera’s capabilities. For the best assistance, it would be advisable to consult directly with FFMpeg’s support channels or user forums. As a quick reference, we found a forum post that might be helpful for your situation, discussing commands for input format, resolution, and framerate adjustments in FFMpeg:

ffmpeg -f v4l2 -input_format h264 -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 30 -i /dev/video2 -vcodec copy -y -t 5 test.mp4